Posted on August 3, 2018 by Hayden
OK, so today I got my Japanese driving permit (yahoo). However, it was somewhat of a cerebral pain attempting to discover what you need.
3 Manners By Which You Can Get Your Driving Permit:
The primary thing to know is there are three manners by which you can get your permit.
- To take the classes and the tests as would any Japanese individual. Stay away from this if conceivable as it is both costly and troublesome (you need a decent degree of Japanese).
- Apply to have your permit changed over from your own nation’s permit and your nation does not have any concurrences with Japan (requires a hypothesis test and a driving test).
- Apply to have your permit changed over from your own nation’s permit. There are no tests and this procedure is just administrative work (this is known as a gaimen kirikae).
The Nations That Fall Into Strategy 3 Are:
Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, The United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Taiwan, South Korea, or USA (just Maryland [from Jan 2016] or Washington [from Jan 2017] )
I was fortunate enough to fall into technique 3, so that is the strategy I’m going to discuss.
It’s additionally essential to recollect that the prerequisites and procedure may change marginally depending in which prefecture you are in (I’m in Fukuoka).
What you will require:
- A legitimate driver’s permit (not terminated)
- A juuminhyo (an archive from your nearby town/city corridor that demonstrates your location)
- Your international ID
- 2 photographs (size 3 cm by 2.4)
- Residency card (zairyuu card)
- Cash (for me, it cost 3600 yen)
- Interpretation of your driver’s permit. (For this, go to your closest JAF focus. A few consulates may likewise over this)
You may likewise require:
- Verification that you have lived in your nation for in any event 3 months since you breezed through your test.
- Your old/lapsed permit
- An Interpreter
Numbers 1-6 on the rundown are quite straightforward. For number 2, a visit to your city lobby (or any place you initially enlisted your residency card is somewhat in the event that you don’t as of now have one. The size of the photographs for your the application is likewise small (I cut some 4cm-3cm ones I had save, they didn’t have an issue with it).
Number 7 on the rundown is somewhat of an agony, particularly relying upon the distance away your closest JAF focus is. It cost me 3000 yen to get it interpreted and took 45 minutes (the JAF site it can take somewhere in the range of 1 day to about fourteen days).
The site (for my situation, it was a piece of the Fukuoka prefecture police site) said that I would need to demonstrate I lived in my nation for 3 months since I finished my test. It says a visa with leave/additional stamps of your nation will do the trick. Numerous nations don’t stamp your visa, so I was somewhat stressed. In the wake of asking Gaijinpot, numerous individuals said to take things, for example, recognitions or service bills. I took my degree, yet at last, they didn’t check it.
On the off chance that your permit has as of late been renewed and it doesn’t demonstrate the first date you passed, at that point, it could be difficult for you to demonstrate that you dwelled in your nation for 3 months. As a sanity check, I ensured the interpretation incorporated the first date I passed (it did) and took my old permit in any case (it wasn’t required).
In case you’re is not good, you may need to carry a Japanese companion with you. When arrives test center, you should fill in an application structure (in Japanese) and do an exceptionally fundamental vision test.
Japanese Driving License Summary:
It took around 3 hours in absolute when I visited the test focus. More often than not was simply holding up going to have the vision test, fill in the structures, and have the card made.
From getting my UK to permit translated, to getting my Japanese driving permit – it just took 2 days (despite the fact that the site cautions both the interpretation and the permit could take weeks).
My driving permit is substantial for a long time, which means I should now have the option to go into certain 2-year contracts, despite the fact that my present visa is just for one year.
That is everything for my situation. Good Luck!